EZ-Gripper® Closed Catheter Kit – Male
For decades, tetraplegic patients have been prescribed external condom or indwelling Foley catheters for bladder management since most were incapable of intermittent urinary self-catheterization. The dexterity required to open the package, lubricate the catheter, etc., was more than most could accomplish, particularly at higher injury levels. MTG set a goal of developing a catheter that could be used, without help from a caregiver, for those with spinal cord injuries from C-4 through C-7 and for some people afflicted with Multiple Sclerosis. We believe that with the MTG EZ-Gripper®, we have achieved this goal.
If the potential user can move one hand 3” to the left, and then 3” to the right, while stabilizing the anatomy with their other hand, he/she should be able to self-catheterize. In the case of the male, the penis will be held against the leg with one hand while the other hand moves the Gripper back and forth. In the case of the female, the user may opt to use both hands on the Gripper and pull the catheter into the urethra.
MTG EZ-Gripper® is a self-contained, pre-lubricated, closed system catheter. From start to finish, the user will not need the fine motor skills of either the hands or fingers in order to cath. Even the packaging has been fitted with access finger holes for easier opening. Affixed to the outside of the collection bag is our patented Gripper, a handle that applies pressure to the tube from both sides of the bag, so the user doesn’t have to firmly squeeze during advancement, and tenodesis grip can be utilized. As the Gripper is advanced towards the top of the bag, the catheter also advances forward about 2”, through the urethra and into the bladder. As the Gripper is returned to its original position in the bag in preparation for another advancement, the catheter remains stable and the patented MTG EZ-Advancer® valve prevents the catheter from going backwards.
Protecting the upper urinary tract is a key to reducing the risk of potential renal problems down the road. While self-catheterization is certainly going to keep UTIs to a minimum compared to bladder management using external or Foley catheters, it’s more laborious for the user. Nevertheless, once the user becomes proficient, which can take several catheterization attempts to master, the pros far outweigh the cons: No more bags and no more odor; short pants are an option, etc. For an in-depth description of MTG EZ-Gripper®, please view our user instructional video, complete with a C-6 quad catheterizing an anatomical model.
- Outer package includes access finger holes for easy opening.
- The catheter is pre-lubricated, so setup time is minimal.
- The MTG introducer tip is designed to reduce the risk of recurrent Urinary Tract Infections (see video for proper usage instructions).
- Soft, fire polished, smooth eyelets (drainage holes) allow for comfortable passage through the urethra and into the bladder.
- Offset eyelets, located near the tip of the catheter, provide drainage from two points within the bladder.
- The MTG EZ-Advancer® valve secures the catheter tube after each forward advancement, preventing retraction back into the bag during insertion.
- The catheter bag protects the sterility of the tube and collects the urine.
- Sterile sample can be collected (see Sample Retrieval).
- The catheter is available in 12, 14 and 16 Fr., 16” length.
- The “Tear here to empty” perforation is easy to rip, allowing for fluid to be poured into the toilet.
- The collection bag also has access finger holes for holding during filling and draining.
- 100% latex-free
- Benzalkonium chloride (BZK) clear, odor-free, alcohol-free, cleansing prep
- DEHP-free catheter tube
- Includes privacy bag for discreet disposal of used supplies